If you were injured by a negligent or reckless Uber driver, then you have a claim for compensation. First, though, you need to make a claim with the Uber Claims Department to give them notice that you were hurt.
This initial claim will begin the negotiation process, but it is only the first step to getting money for your injuries.
Fortunately, Uber has ample insurance to cover just about any collision. If you were struck by an Uber driver, then up to $1 million in bodily injury liability insurance is available. If you were a passenger, then $1 million is available as well.
To make an effective claim, follow the advice in this article and reach out to an experienced Uber accident attorney. An Uber crash does not have to derail your life if you can receive full compensation for your injuries.
Obtain Insurance Information
Immediately after the crash make sure you get the insurance information from all vehicles involved, including the Uber driver. You will want to know exactly who to contact to submit your claim. Also write down other important information, such as:
- The names of the drivers involved in the crash
- The license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions for all cars involved in the collision
- Contact information for the drivers, such as phone number and email
All of this information is useful when submitting your claim.
Request Trip Verification
The amount of insurance available depends on whether the Uber driver was logged into the Uber app at the time of the accident and whether they had accepted a ride. If not, much less insurance is available:
- If the driver is not logged onto the app, they are not an “Uber driver.” Instead, it is no different than being hit by someone else on the road. You will need to make a claim with that driver’s personal insurance carrier.
- If the driver is logged in and looking for a ride, then $50,000 in injury liability up to $100,00 per accident is available, including $30,000 in property damage. Also, $200,000 excess liability is available.
- If the driver has accepted a ride and is on the way to pick the person up, then $1 million in insurance is available. If you are an Uber passenger and another driver is to blame, Uber still has $1 million in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage which can pay you compensation if the other driver lacks insurance or does not have enough.
- If the passenger is in the vehicle, then $1 million is available in insurance benefits, with an additional $1 million in UM coverage.
As you can see, it matters if the driver had logged into the Uber app or had accepted a ride at the time of the Uber crash. You will need to verify the trip by filling out a form, which you can find at the website.
Uber requests the following information:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Your email address
- The name of your Uber driver
- The date of the accident
- The location of the accident
- A description of the accident
Contact the Uber Claims Department
Uber’s insurer in California is the James River Insurance Company. You can contact them, or they might reach out to you after you submit your trip verification information. You will most likely have to fill out some forms that they give you. Remember to keep a copy for your own records.
The James River Insurance company website states that they no longer accept claims over the phone, so this is no longer an option. Instead, you can submit by:
If you have a question, you can still call them at 804-289-2712.
Reporting an Accident as an Uber Driver
If you were driving the vehicle when you got into an accident, then you should also follow the steps above. However, you also need to file an Uber incident report. You can do that by going to “Trip Issues and Fare Adjustments > I was in an accident.” You will need to share all information, such as the identities of your passengers and anyone else involved in the crash. A member of Uber’s team will then be in contact to make sure everyone is okay.
Why You Need an Attorney when Filing an Uber Claim
Type “uber” and “james river insurance” into Google and check out the results. You will read endless horror stories of injured motorists who had to fight tooth and nail to get the compensation they were entitled to after an Uber crash.
Some of the problems motorists have encountered include:
- Claiming that the victim was at fault for the accident, so no compensation is forthcoming
- Refusing to return phone calls
- Inadequate settlement offers
- Misrepresentations, whether unintentional or not
- Claims that injuries are pre-existing or not serious
It can be difficult to work with an insurance company, so you need someone by your side who understands the car accident settlement process. A lawyer can present evidence that the Uber driver is to blame for the accident and establish the seriousness of your injuries.
Without this help, you might feel like you are swimming against the tide. If you were driving a vehicle when an Uber driver crashed into you, then your own insurance company might go to bat for you to get James River Insurance to accept responsibility. However, if you were a passenger, then you are on your own.
Contact an Experienced San Francisco Uber Accident Attorney
In many ways, an Uber crash is no different than other car accidents that take place in Marin County. You will need to thoroughly document your injuries and then make a claim for compensation. However, Uber has earned a reputation for making it difficult to receive the money you deserve, so legal help is usually necessary.
Contact us. Wakeford Gelini, located in San Francisco, has helped many Uber passengers receive compensation. We can also help you if you were driving your own vehicle when an Uber struck you.