The North Bay is one of the most beautiful places in California to ride motorcycles. Throughout Marin County, the winding roads north of the Golden Gate Bridge offer motorcyclists plenty of scenic routes. It’s no surprise why motorcyclists love riding here. Unfortunately for Northern California bikers, serious motorcycle accidents are far too common in the Bay Area. Distracted and irresponsible drivers often fail to pay attention to motorcyclists who are rightfully sharing the roads and highways in San Francisco, Larkspur, Novato, Sausalito, Mill Valley, and the surrounding Marin County cities. If you were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, you should contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney right away.
Because of the unfair bias against motorcyclists, who are often perceived as reckless even when they’re following the law and riding safely, it can be very difficult for riders to get a fair insurance claim settlement. A motorcycle accident attorney can help you understand your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Featured Case Results
MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY CAR
Our client suffered a broken foot when a car turned left into him pinning him under his motorcycle. Settlements with third-party and his underinsurance coverage resulted in total settlement of $185,000.
MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY CAR
Our client was ejected from her motorcycle when a car suddenly turned left in front of her, causing a pelvis fracture. Case settled for the third-party driver’s policy limits of $100,000
MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY CAR
Our client was knocked off his motorcycle when an oncoming car clipped his mirror. Our client suffered road rash and a broken foot. Case settled for policy limits of $100,000.
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
After a serious motorcycle accident, your first concern should be your health and safety. You should seek immediate medical treatment for your injuries. Failure to do so may reduce the amount of money you ultimately receive for your injuries. This is because insurance company representatives or lawyers for the at-fault party may try to argue that your injuries weren’t really caused by the accident and happened later.
Once your medical condition has stabilized, you should call a motorcycle accident attorney to talk about your case. Many motorcycle accident victims make the mistake of talking to insurance company representatives without a lawyer. They often make statements that hurt their case. While you should never lie to an insurance company representative or exaggerate your injuries, a lawyer will be familiar with the tactics insurance companies use to coerce victims into making damaging statements.
One thing you can do to help your case is to take meticulous notes about your recovery process and keep accurate records about the accident. This will help your lawyer gather key evidence about your case and boost your chances of getting a settlement that fully compensates you for your injuries and other losses.
What Types of Damages are Available in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
If your motorcycle accident lawyer determines that filing a personal injury lawsuit is right for you, the goal of the lawsuit will be to obtain a verdict or settlement to compensate you for your injuries and other losses. The term “damages” is a legal term which refers to money paid to a person for legally recognized harms.
In a motorcycle accident lawsuit, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation.
- Cost of Medical Treatment. You may recover compensation for your past, current, and future medical expenses. This includes the cost of all visits to the doctor or emergency room, medications, physical therapy, psychiatric care, and other types of treatments.
- Damage to Your Motorcycle. If your motorcycle was damaged or totaled in your motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing your bike.
- Lost Wages. If you suffered serious injuries and were unable to return to work after your motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for lost earnings (including tips, commissions, and bonus payments you would have otherwise earned).
- Reduced Earning Capacity. Some injuries can impact your ability to earn for the rest of your life. If you can no longer work or need to reduce your job responsibilities as a result of your medical condition, a motorcycle accident lawyer can fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Pain and Suffering. Sometimes, the most serious injuries after a motorcycle accident aren’t visible. If you’re dealing with psychological distress and severe pain after an accident, contact a lawyer to talk about your case right away.
You may be wondering what your motorcycle case is worth and how to calculate this figure. Only a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer can talk to you about the various types of damages that might be available to you.
Motorcycle Accidents Happen, Even to the Most Careful Riders
All motorcyclists know that there are certain risks involved with riding. Even the most cautious riders are subject to get in an accident. Here are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Marin County.
- Lane Splitting: Even though lane splitting is legal in California, many drivers fail to look in their mirrors before changing lanes. Motorcycle accidents caused by lane splitting can happen even in slow-moving traffic.
- Failure to Yield: One of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents is the driver of a passenger vehicle or truck failing to yield to the right of way of a motorcyclist. These accidents frequently occur when a car or truck is making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Unsafe Driving Speeds: Careless drivers often fail to abide by posted speed limits or drive too fast for the road conditions. This dangerous driving behavior has caused far too many motorcycle accidents in Marin County and the surrounding areas.
- Poor Visibility: The fog in Northern California can lead to low visibility. Motorcycle accidents often happen in foggy conditions which obscure motorcyclists from drivers’ views.
- Dangerous Road Conditions: Rain and high winds can lead to dangerous road conditions. When drivers fail to take proper precautions, devastating motorcycle accidents can occur.
Talk to an Experienced San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and want to discuss your case, call Wakeford Gelini today. We understand that a motorcycle accident can be a stressful, life-changing event. Let us handle on your legal matters so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. For a consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney, call our Corte Madera office at (415) 578-3510 today.