Hurt in a motorcycle accident? A San Francisco motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to get you compensation for your injuries. Contact Wakeford Law today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation: (415) 569-7495
The Bay Area is one of the most beautiful places in California to ride motorcycles. The winding roads north of the Golden Gate Bridge offer motorcyclists plenty of scenic routes. It’s no surprise why motorcyclists love riding here.
Unfortunately for Northern California bikers, serious motorcycle accidents are far too common in the Bay Area. Distracted and irresponsible drivers often fail to pay attention to motorcyclists who are rightfully sharing the roads and highways in the Bay Area.
If you were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, you should contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney right away.
Because of the unfair bias against motorcyclists, who are often perceived as reckless even when they’re following the law and riding safely, it can be very difficult for riders to get a fair insurance claim settlement.
A San Francisco motorcycle accident attorney can help you understand your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Featured Case Results
MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY CAR
Our client suffered a broken foot when a car turned left into him pinning him under his motorcycle. Settlements with third-party and his underinsurance coverage resulted in total settlement of $185,000.
MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY CAR
Our client was ejected from her motorcycle when a car suddenly turned left in front of her, causing a pelvis fracture. Case settled for the third-party driver’s policy limits of $100,000
MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY CAR
Our client was knocked off his motorcycle when an oncoming car clipped his mirror. Our client suffered road rash and a broken foot. Case settled for policy limits of $100,000.
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
The immediate aftermath of a motorcycle collision can be chaotic. If you were injured in a crash, there are certain steps that you need to take that will ensure that you best protect your health and wellbeing and that you fully preserve your legal rights. It is crucial that motorcycle accident victims know what to do after a crash.
Seek Medical Attention
To start, injured victims should seek medical attention. An emergency situation always requires a trip to the nearest hospital. Further, seemingly mild or moderate injuries should receive a comprehensive medical evaluation without delay. You should never take any chances with a motorcycle accident, as you may be more seriously hurt than you realize.
Report the Crash to Law Enforcement
San Francisco motorcycle accident victims should also be sure that they report the crash to law enforcement. California drivers have a legal duty to report all pedestrian/motorcycle collisions that result in injuries. The injured victim should be sure that they have received the contact, vehicle, and insurance information from the responsible driver.
Gathering evidence is extremely important. It is a good practice to try to get photographs of the crash and contact information from any witnesses. You may need this evidence to bring a legal claim in the future.
Do Not Speak With Other Driver’s Insurance
Finally, injured motorcyclists should never admit partial fault for the accident or make any statements to representatives from the driver’s insurance company. The insurance company is fundamentally interested in protecting its own financial interests. Injured victims should always deal with insurance adjusters directly through experienced San Francisco bike accident lawyers.
What Types of Damages are Available in a San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
If your motorcycle accident lawyer determines that filing a personal injury lawsuit is right for you, the goal of the lawsuit will be to obtain a verdict or settlement to compensate you for your injuries and other losses. The term “damages” is a legal term that refers to money paid to a person for legally recognized harms.
In a motorcycle accident lawsuit, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation.
- Cost of Medical Treatment. You may recover compensation for your past, current, and future medical expenses. This includes the cost of all visits to the doctor or emergency room, medications, physical therapy, psychiatric care, and other types of treatments.
- Damage to Your Motorcycle. If your motorcycle was damaged or totaled in your motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing your bike.
- Lost Wages. If you suffered serious injuries and were unable to return to work after your motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for lost earnings (including tips, commissions, and bonus payments you would have otherwise earned).
- Reduced Earning Capacity. Some injuries can impact your ability to earn for the rest of your life. If you can no longer work or need to reduce your job responsibilities as a result of your medical condition, a motorcycle accident lawyer can fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Pain and Suffering. Sometimes, the most serious injuries after a motorcycle accident aren’t visible. If you’re dealing with psychological distress and severe pain after an accident, contact a lawyer to talk about your case right away.
You may be wondering what your motorcycle case is worth and how to calculate this figure. Only a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer can talk to you about the various types of damages that might be available to you.
Motorcycle Accidents Happen, Even to the Most Careful Riders
All motorcyclists know that there are certain risks involved with riding. Even the most cautious riders are subject to get in an accident. Here are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in the Bay Area.
- Lane Splitting: Even though lane splitting is legal in California, many drivers fail to look in their mirrors before changing lanes. Motorcycle accidents caused by lane splitting can happen even in slow-moving traffic.
- Failure to Yield: One of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents is the driver of a passenger vehicle or truck failing to yield to the right of way of a motorcyclist. These accidents frequently occur when a car or truck is making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Unsafe Driving Speeds: Careless drivers often fail to abide by posted speed limits or drive too fast for the road conditions. This dangerous driving behavior has caused far too many motorcycle accidents.
- Poor Visibility: The fog in Northern California can lead to low visibility. Motorcycle accidents often happen in foggy conditions which obscure motorcyclists from drivers’ views.
- Dangerous Road Conditions: Rain and high winds can lead to dangerous road conditions. When drivers fail to take proper precautions, devastating motorcycle accidents can occur.
Talk to an Experienced San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and want to discuss your case, call The Wakeford Law Firm today. We understand that a motorcycle accident can be a stressful, life-changing event.
Let us handle your legal matters so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Contact us today for a consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your accident caused injuries, then you probably do need an attorney. The insurance company will try to give you as little as possible for your case. An attorney who knows how the system works, is a skilled negotiator, and is looking after your interests can make a huge difference in your claim.
In many cases, no you will not have to pay. The Wakeford Law Firm, for example, offers free consultations. In fact, you don’t have to pay anything until the firm gets money for you.
To figure out the value of your claim, you really do need to speak with an attorney. They’ll factor in a multitude of case factors.