CHP Accident Reports
If you’ve recently been involved in a car accident on a California state highway, and your accident was responded to by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), we suggest that you obtain a copy of the official Collision Report.
The most convenient way to obtain a copy of your CHP accident report is to print out and mail in a completed CHP 190 – Collision Request Form.
You can access and download the CHP 190 form by clicking here (link opens in new tab). As you will see, the CHP 190 – Collision Request Form requests a variety of information, including:
- Date of collision
- Location of collision
- Name of the Driver or Owner of the vehicle
- Your “Party of Interest” designation (eg. Person involved, Family member, Legal representative, etc.)
- Your name
- Your address
- Your signature
- The date
Important items to note about obtaining your CHP accident report
- Your accident report is not free. Collision reports start at a cost of $10, which must be paid by check. The cost of your report may increase if the report is especially long:
- $20.00 — 26 – 50 pages
- $30.00 — 51 – 75 pages
- $40.00 — 76 – 100 pages
- If you request your report via mail, you’ll need to include a photocopy of your driver license.
- Out-of-state drivers can get a copy of their accident report the same as in-state drivers by mailing in the CHP 190 Form and including a photocopy of their driver license.
- If you have secured legal counsel after your accident, your attorney is eligible to – and indeed should – obtain a copy of your CHP accident report on your behalf.
CHP Marin County Office Contact Information
If your accident occured in Marin County, it is likely that your accident report will be processed by CHP’s Marin County office:
53 San Clemente Drive
Corte Madera , CA 94925
Phone: (415) 924-1100
- Monday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
If your accident did not occur in Marin County, click here to locate the CHP office that is local to the area where your collision occurred.
Get Help Handling the Aftermath of Your Accident from a Qualified Accident Attorney
Often, the stress and anxiety associated with being involved in a car accident only increases in the days and weeks to follow. Between getting treatment for your injuries, missing time at work, and dealing with the insurance adjuster, your plate gets full in a hurry.
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident in California, we invite you to contact our law firm today for a free, no obligation consultation. Our experienced attorneys will listen to the details of your case and give you their honest assessment of your best legal course of action.