San Francisco & Bay Area Bus Accident Lawyers
If you need help from an experienced bus accident lawyer, reach out for a free consultation today.
In 2019, there were 2,734 fatal crashes involving trucks and buses in the United States. In California, there were 8,696 accidents involving trucks or buses. With over 772,000 people riding various forms of public transportation in San Francisco daily in 2018, bus accidents happen every year.
Even when these accidents aren’t fatal, injuries suffered in a bus accident are catastrophic and sometimes permanent. If you sustained injuries in a bus accident, contact a San Francisco bus accident attorney. You have the right to recover compensation for the party responsible for your injuries.
Who is Liable in a Bus Accident?
A qualified San Francisco bus accident attorney knows that the key to success in your case is establishing the responsible party for your injuries. Identifying the liable party requires your bus accident lawyer in San Francisco to carefully analyze the facts of your accident and all parties involved.
Depending on the facts of your case, various parties may be held responsible for your injuries. Most commonly, the following parties may typically be found liable after a bus crash:
- The local government—City and municipal governments may be liable for accidents involving buses throughout San Francisco.
- A private company—Private tour buses, party buses, charter buses, or other similar businesses could also be found liable for accidents.
- A school—An accident involving a public school bus generally points to government responsibility. However, a private school is responsible for accidents involving their privately operated buses.
- Vehicle manufacturer—In situations where a bus accident resulted due to a defective or malfunctioning part may point to the liability of the bus manufacturer.
One driver error can create devastating consequences for those involved in a bus accident. You may be unsure who or what entity is responsible for your harm. A San Francisco bus accident attorney understands how to create a strong case on your behalf so you can recover just compensation.
Common Injuries in Bus Accidents
People involved in bus accidents often suffer serious injuries. Common bus injuries include the following:
- Head and brain injuries—Those involved in accidents with buses may be thrown forward suddenly upon collision. In these situations, the brain may sustain trauma if it hits against a hard surface, and resulting injuries may cause minor concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries.
- Neck and back injuries—When someone moves suddenly due to an accident, they may suffer whiplash, soft tissue injuries, herniated disks, and other similar injuries.
- Permanent injuries—Severe spinal cord injuries may cause paralysis. A diagnosis of paralysis without any hope for recovery is devastating for anyone.
- Internal injuries—Some injuries suffered in bus accidents may not be readily apparent without a medical evaluation. Such internal injuries tend to be severe and have lasting effects without proper treatment.
- Limb loss—The tremendous impact of a bus accident may result in the permanent loss of a limb. In some situations, parts of a vehicle or bus may sever a limb. Sometimes a doctor may amputate a limb in surgery due to the severity of an injury.
- Burns—Collisions between vehicles often cause gas tanks to rupture, creating a significant risk of fire or explosion. If you get trapped in your car or on a bus, a fire can lead to severe and life-threatening burns with lasting effects.
It’s vital to seek medical attention promptly after a bus accident. Maintaining a connection between your injuries and the accident is crucial for your claim. Your bus accident attorney in San Francisco uses these records to build a strong case on your behalf.
What Can My San Francisco Bus Accident Attorney Recover for Me?
Following your accident, speak to a bus accident lawyer in San Francisco as soon as possible.
Insurance companies and attorneys representing the bus company may attempt to influence your decision by taking advantage of you in your time of need. With pressure and the promise of immediate compensation, these parties may encourage you to settle for much lower compensation than you deserve.
Your San Francisco bus accident attorney understands the financial pressures you may be facing as you attempt to recover from your injuries.
But your attorney also understands that gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and investigating the facts of your accident create strong support for higher compensation. Fair compensation gets you and your family back on the path forward.
While no money could ever be enough to compensate you after an accident, compensatory damages attempt to restore some balance to your life. In California, compensatory damages consist of economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include those tangible and calculable losses directly related to your injuries. These damages include the following:
- Past and future medical expenses,
- Past lost wages,
- Future lost earnings, and
- Property damage.
Your attorney uses invoices, pay stubs, receipts, and other evidence to support your claim for economic damages.
Non-economic damages represent intangible and subjective losses related to your injuries. These include the physical and psychological effects of your injuries.
Due to their subjective nature and the difficulty in proving non-economic damages, you are wise to hire a bus accident attorney in San Francisco to ensure recovery. Non-economic damages include the following:
Despite the difficulty of proving non-economic damages, your attorney understands their importance. In many cases, non-economic damages may be substantially larger than economic damage awards. Furthermore, non-economic damages compensate for the lasting psychological effects of an injury.
At Wakeford Law Firm, our experienced trial attorneys fight for our clients’ rights. We prepare our cases for trial even though we know that most cases never make it to court. We deploy our extensive resources, including medical and other experts, to fully prepare our cases. Our level of preparation results in higher settlements and better monetary recoveries for our clients.
At Wakeford, our focus is to provide individualized attention to our clients. We pride ourselves on being accessible and responsible to the individuals we represent and recognizing that each case before us presents its own unique set of facts. We are here to help you. Contact our office today for a free consultation.